Chapter seven: Memories recollected

Chapter seven

Memories recollected

The thirst....

It's a recall again. All my classmates will thank me for this. It started in the initial year. Dr. Ashok Thorat sir had organised a two day seminar on NET SET preparation. I think fifteen of us enrolled and decided to attend.
That was the real beginning of listening to stalwarts,Experts and senior teachers.
We got to listen to many speakers. I must confess that most of the talks by the experts made us go clueless as we had never heard of such words,authors and their respective works. The seminar did moviate us to read original books and not the Aashish or Pragati notes. I remember Dr. Chindade asking us '' Are you MA English or MA Aashish? ''
That was true indeed. A very few of the batch had read any of the text. A student can read a note on Othello and mug it up. He may never read a page from Shakespeare original writing.
Coming back to the topic, this seminar also made us aware of the vast study one needs to do. Mr. Godbole was the chief speaker,the SET chairman then..
We had a written format for NET SET those days. A short demo was given how to design the answers and so on.
It was concluded by Dr. Madhuri Gokhale madam by giving us Study Techniques.
The effect of this was seminar was good enough for my group at least.
Mithun Dhriti and I started discussing and It was decided that we will read all the original texts prescribed for the year. The text Othello gave me such a pleasure to read... I read two other tragedies called Hamlet and King Lear.
I was reading such things for the first time as I had not studied in regular stream. I enjoyed it thoroughly.
The reading could produce good amount of self study notes. It was an asset and still have them with me. I must tell you.. Mithun had his own notes... Dhriti had his own and I had mine . Imagine a blend of three! We all loved sharing the notes or books()
I don't know how but it all started and my reading geared up.
Guys... Remember? We attended NET SET seminar followed by many more. There were ten seminars miminum in a semester at different venues in and around Pune.
We used to go and attend. Paying 200 (a concession fee) as a student was fun.
Why?
1. Paying 200 and getting to attend seminar in English. It was enriching as we got to listen to a lot of English.
2. Getting to know the practice of research and research paper was also a treat.
3. It was a kind of get together for us. Jahnavi Nath and Betty here you were part of some of the seminars... Right?
4. Most of the seminars were arranged in AC halls as it was so pleasant.
5. Last but not the least, We were hostlites and used to get yummy food along with the intellectual feast.
Yes...last time when I checked my old papers to update my resume, I found that we had attended 14 seminars in two years.. Not a bad performance at all.
It was fun as well as pain traveling in PMT buses using all route pass. (Thank you PMPML)
Thank you all for being a part of this journey of wisdom. Each and every seminar enriced us with something new. I believe this thirst for gaining new is still on.
Pune that's what you gave me..
The thirst of knowledge.
That's all for now.
Have a nice day.

Comments